Tuesday, February 10, 2015

El Chapulin Colorado

Wait, let me explain!


Why is there a middle-aged man wearing antennae and a red hood?   

To anyone from north of the border, I'm sure this is all very confusing.  Just take a breath, and let's jump into it.  He's El Chapulin Colorado.  Which basically translates to "The Red Grasshopper." 

He's hard to compare to anyone from Hollywood.  The best I can come up with is an even sillier version of the Adam West Batman.  He uses a giant hammer, shrinking pills, and his wit to fight evil--doers.  But not just super-villains: also, abusive parents and leaders.  

This guy did it all.  He also had a skit show about a hotel (think SNL) and a show about a little boy that lives in a barrel.  Seriously.  You have some Googling to do, my friend.  I genuinely feel a little sorry for anyone that hasn't laughed to this man's work.

Why is this important? Well, because to us Spanish-speakers, he was even bigger than Batman.  Yes, that's right.  This guy basically was SNL, Batman, and Jerry Seinfeld rolled into one.  His name was Chespirito and he died a few months ago.  I have to write about him because of all the hours I spent watching his shows with my family.

Antennae's off to this man.

No comments:

Post a Comment